How To Get Spray Paint Off Vinyl Siding (4 Methods)
If you’re having trouble getting the spray paint off your vinyl siding, check out our easy guide on how to get spray paint off vinyl siding for you to follow.
When you spray paint your roof or other parts of your home, sometimes you won’t be able to avoid the paint sliding down on to your house’s vinyl siding. The worst part is that stains that come from the paint can be really hard to scrub off of vinyl material.
With that, you may be asking yourself, “how do I get spray paint off vinyl siding if the paint is strong?”
However, don’t worry too much as there are easy methods on how to get spray paint off vinyl siding with ease. In this guide, we’ll be teaching you how to get spray paint off of vinyl siding step by step so that you’ll know exactly how to do it.
What You Need to Know About Vinyl Siding
Before anything else, we have to first discuss what vinyl is and why it is so clean in the first place. Vinyl is actually made out of a type of polyvinyl chloride resin, making it rather durable and a good alternative to other housing exterior materials like aluminum or cement. About 80% of the material is made of the PVC resin while the rest of the 20% is made out of chemicals that give the vinyl its color and weather resistance.
While vinyl is actually a pretty easy material to clean, there are certain paints that really stick to vinyl. In fact, vinyl is known to quickly and strongly absorb paints that are acrylic or urethane-based. So, if you accidentally spill these kinds of paint on your house’s vinyl siding, you might have a hard time getting the stains off with traditional means.
That said, there are certain techniques that can be used in order to take off these stubborn paint stains so that your vinyl siding will look perfect. While going over some of the methods on how to get spray paint off vinyl siding below:
How To Get Spray Paint Off Vinyl Siding (Tips & Tricks)
There are a few methods that we will note here on this guide. If one does not work, then you can try the others.
- Create a solution made of laundry detergent and warm water.
- Pour some of the mixes on the paint and use a brush to scrub it off.
- Rinse the area with water using a power washer using the rinse nozzle.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 again if the paint is still there.
- Remove the remnants with some isopropyl alcohol.
- Rinse the area one last time.
This method works best for water-based paint. If you’re faced with a tougher challenge like an oil-based paint like acrylic, then you’ll need something stronger.
Here’s the next method for this situation:
- Put rubbing alcohol on a cloth and wipe as much paint as possible.
- Wipe some liquid wax with steel wool and use it to scrub the affected area until the paint comes off.
- Use a mix of detergent and warm water to clean the area.
- Alternatively, you can use mineral spirit instead of liquid wax and you can repeat the same process.
If you didn’t notice the stain for quite some time and the paint has already dried up, then you’ll need to use a completely different method. This is where the third method will come in.
- Use a scraper to take out the outer surface of the dried paint.
- Scrub the floor with acetone paint remover or mineral spirits until the paint comes off.
- Clean the floor with a solution of detergent and warm water.
If all else fails, then you can use the next and last method.
- Buy a graffiti remover like the ones from Motsenbockers or Lift-Off.
- Put the solution in the affected area and scrub using a cloth.
- Rinse the area with some mild soap and water afterward.
When using this method, you may also want to look for the graffiti removers that do not create discoloration on surfaces. Search for the ones that are good for vinyl surfaces just in case. These graffiti removers should do the trick on those really stubborn paint stains on your vinyl siding.
Having those paint stains on your vinyl home exterior can be a real pain as they put a dent in your home’s beautiful design. While they can be a bit stubborn, there are different ways that can be used to address them. Depending on what kind of paint is spilled and how much is already hardened, you need to use various methods to see which one works. The 4 methods that we have provided above are proven to work for different paint stains.
All you have to do is follow the tips that we’ve provided above. From there, you’ll no longer need to ask, “how do you get spray paint off vinyl siding?”
At least one of the methods on how to get spray paint off vinyl siding will work for paint stains on your vinyl siding.
TOP 5 most viewed articles in month
In compiling a top-5 list of this month's most popular articles: